Kidneys play an important role in the human body. They throw out waste products generated in the body and maintain fluid and electrolyte balance. They also play part in vitamin D production and prevention of anaemia by generating erythropoietin. Kidney failure can happen due to various reasons like diabetes, hypertension, intrinsic kidney disease, kidney stones, infections, autoimmune conditions, congenital anomalies and hereditary conditions. Kidney failure may require replacement therapy for the kidneys like dialysis and transplantation. We at Velammal hospital have a fullfledged
nephrology department to take care of your kidneys.
The nephrology department at Velammal Medical College Hospital not only provides preventive advice for safeguarding your kidneys, it is also well equipped to deal with all diseases of the kidney including dialysis and transplantation. The department is supported by 2 full-time consultant nephrologists, junior doctors, dialysis technicians, dialysis nurses, outpatient nurses, dieticians, pharmacists, and secretaries. We have a busy hemodialysis unit with more than 3500 dialysis happening every month. Most health insurance schemes including the Tamilnadu Chief ministers health insurance scheme is available for most renal procedures. We offer both automated peritoneal dialysis and continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis for our patients.We also train about 15-20 B.Sc dialysis technology students each year.
The kidney transplant program at Velammal Medical College Hospital started in January 2017 with a living donor transplant. Since then the transplant program has steadily grown number wise. We now routinely do cadaveric and liverelated kidney transplantation. The program is overseen by an internationally trained nephrologist and our outcomes are on par with international standards. Our patients have included those from other parts of the country and abroad. We were awarded by the Tamilnadu government for the largest number of cadaveric transplants, in the private hospital category. Our hospital is authorised to do transplants under various government insurance schemes including the CMCHIS.
Nephrology Department Services offered:
- 24*7 consultant availability for emergencies
- 24*7 dialysis facility
- Investigations for renal diseases (laboratory and radiological)
- Hemodialysis unit with separate dialysis machines for hepatitis and HIV patients
- Hemodialysis for COVID-19 affected patients.
- Hemodialysis catheter insertion- temporary and “Permcath”
- AV fistula surgery
- Peritoneal dialysis- CAPD and APD
- Peritoneal dialysis catheter insertion
- Continuous Renal Replacement Therapy (CRRT)
- Kidney transplant- Live related and Cadaveric
- Kidney biopsy- Adult and paediatric
- Pediatric hemodialysis & CRRT
- Pediatric peritoneal dialysis
- Extracorporeal therapies for poisoning
- Kidney disease treatment in Pregnancy
- Dietary advice for renal patients
- Kidney disease prevention advice