Rheumatology deals with multisystem diseases linked with immune system.Auto immune diseases due to inflammatory cascade includes Rheumatoid arthritis, Psoriatic arthritis, or Connective tissue diseases like Systemic lupus erythematosus, scleroderma, sjogren syndrome and myositis.Velammal Hospital provides State of the art expertise and care for all the Rheumatological diseases with Multi speciality input.
The Department of Rheumatology provides complete musculoskeletal health care for all ages from young children to old age. This speciality deals with multisystem diseases linked with immune system.
We see 3 types of illnesses – caused by autoimmunity.
- Joint involvement predominantly-Arthritis
- Internal organ involvement- like SLE
- Blood vessel involvement- Vasculitis.
Diagnosis is made by clinical information, evaluation and immune tests.
We promote healthy lifestyles, health education and awareness meetings for doctors, patients and public. All our treatments are given at concessional price and affordable cost.
Rheumatology department has been running in Velammal Medical College Hospital since 2014 (room no 54) and in Specialty wing (Section G, 4th floor). On average we have 120 patients per week and about 20 referrals in a week. We have medical wards, critical care and step-down wards too in Velammal hospital and well dedicated orthopaedic team. The department is well supported by Radiology and Immunology services.
Rheumatoid arthritis, Psoriatic arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, Reactive arthritis, Gout. Juvenile arthritis, Systemic lupus erythematosus, Scleroderma, Sjogren syndrome, myositis All forms of vasculitis including Takayasu vasculitis, and Osteoporosis.
- Appropriate diagnosis and immune modification treatment including newer treatments like Biologics and Biosimilars.
- Joint aspiration and intra articular treatment are also given.
- Osteoporosis service for fragile bones
- Paediatric Rheumatology services.
- Collaboration with Medical, surgical and orthopedicians
- Intensive care with physicians
- Physiotherapist input
We also participate in National and International studies by medical students.